The building and landscaping were still in the design stage when George Widener and his son Harry lost their lives aboard the RMS Titanic. His widow, Eleanor Elkins Widener, who was rescued in a lifeboat from the Titanic, completed the project and construction was undertaken during 1913 and 1914 and opened to friends with a large reception on August 20, 1915.
The 27-bedroom, 14-bath mansion has a 27' × 63' Grand Salon/ballroom on the first floor which opens onto a 4,000-square-foot (370m2) oceanfront terrace. Among its other features, the mansion has a 10,000-bottle wine cellar with a 20-ft (6 m) stone basin for icing up to 200 bottles of champagne at once. The property features includes a 6,000-square-foot (560m2)carriage house and gardens with a bronze fountain designed by French sculptor Henri-Léon Gréber, father of the landscape designer.
Miramar is a historic neighborhood in the district of Santurce.
The neighborhood is under the legal jurisdiction of Santurce in the municipality of San Juan, Puerto Rico.
It first appears in the 16th century as a spring that fed water to the Spanish outpost of Old San Juan.
In the 17th century a wide public street was built that ran through the spring. Commerce flourished since goods that arrived at the port of San Juan had to pass Miramar on their way to the rest of the island. Today two set of bridges known as San Antonio and Dos Hermanos connects the adjoining areas of Old San Juan and Condado. Its land area measures 0.24 sq. miles (0.62km²), and has a resident population of 5,440 according to the 2000 United States Census.
Miramar since its beginnings had huge wooden houses and expansive land lots. In the 1950s well known architects from the time period built extravagant homes in Miramar that are still preserved.
An elegant and upscale area with Spanish-style patios and gardens.